An amazing and comforting Chili Recipe that is both super healthy and easy to make. Enjoy!!!!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper (cored, seeded and coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One can tomatoes in juice (28-ounces). Chop tomatoes, reserve juices.
- 1½ cups of fresh canned or thawed frozen corn kernels.
- One can (15 ounces) red beans.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Optional toppings: sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese
- Fit a food processor with the metal chopping blade. With the machine running, add the garlic, jalapeño, onion, zucchini, celery, pepper and carrot and pulse until finely chopped (aprox. ¼ inch dice).
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables give off their juices (about 10 min).
- Add the chili powder, oregano and cumin. Stir until they give off their aroma. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 min).
- Stir in the corn, beans and cilantro. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls topping with sour cream, cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro (Tip: you can use natural unsweetened yogurt instead of sower cream, you can substitute green onions for the cilantro).
*Suggestion: Accompany a bowl of warm Vegetarian Chili with a moist and golden Corn bread - Click here for the Easy Yogurt Corn Bread
Recipe adapted from: “The Carefree Cook” by Rick Rogers.