Tips for a Healthier lifestyle
If you want to change to a healthier lifestyle, a series of small steps each day will help you reach your goal.
Fact: Fad diets are not the best way to lose weight and keep it off. These diets often promise quick weight loss if you strictly reduce what you eat or avoid some types of foods. Some of these diets may help you lose weight at first. But these diets are hard to follow. Most people quickly get tired of them and regain any lost weight. Fad diets may be unhealthy. They may not provide all of the nutrients your body needs.
TIP: Research suggests that safe weight loss involves combining a reduced-calorie diet with physical activity to lose 1/2 to 2 pounds a week (after the first few weeks of weight loss). Make healthy food choices.
Myth: Grain products such as bread, pasta, and rice are fattening. I should avoid them when trying to lose weight.
People who eat whole grains as part of a healthy diet may lower their chances of developing some chronic diseases.
Here are some tips for you:
To lose weight, reduce the number of calories you take in and increase the amount of physical activity you do each day. Create and follow a healthy eating plan that replaces less healthy options with a mix of fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein foods, and low-fat dairy:
• Eat a mix of fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products, fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
• Limit added sugars, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and saturated fat.
• Eat low-fat protein: beans, eggs, fish, lean meats, nuts, and poultry.
• Imagine yourself being healthier, more energetic and happier. Next, start thinking about changes you can make in your diet and activities.
• Figure out what’s keeping you from being healthier, and find ways to overcome these obstacles.
• Begin making planned changes. Keep it fun, track your progress and get loved ones to support you.
• Stay motivated! Add variety to both eating and exercise so you don’t get bored. Don’t beat yourself up for any slip-ups.
Myth: Some people can eat whatever they want and still lose weight.
Fact: To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat and drink. Some people may seem to get away with eating any kind of food they want and still lose weight. But those people, like everyone, must use more energy than they take in through food and drink to lose weight.