TURKEY OR BUFFALO CHILI
- 1 to 1½ pounds lean ground turkey or buffalo meat
- ½ cup diced red onion, or more if desired
- 2 Tbls. fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 heaping Tbls. chili powder
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. crushed red chili flakes
- 15-ounce can white beans
- 15-ounce can kidney beans (no sugar added)
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 15-ounce can lentils or adzuki beans
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 heaping tsp. sea salt
- Brown the turkey or buffalo meat in a skillet and drain.
- Turn a slow cooker to high setting. Add the meat, onion, parsley, chili powder, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Stir, cover and set aside.
- Open and partially drain all 5 cans of beans; I leave a little liquid in to make my chili a little juicier. Add the beans, zucchini, and tomatoes to the cooker. Stir well. Keep the cooker set on high for 4 to 5 hours or adjust heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir and taste occasionally, adjusting seasonings as needed. Add the salt just before serving to best preserve its nutrients.
- Note for those following the Fast Metabolism Diet: This meal is appropriate for Phase One. Because this chili contains such a large amount of starchy legumes, it counts as a Grain as well as Protein and Veggie servings. No need to add an additional grain to the meal, even if the meal map specifies a grain.